View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 11, 2004, 09:11am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Could your or MTD Sr. now tell me how you can now award a TO to team A under the provisions of R5-8-3 when Team B has a live ball at it's disposal? Appropriate rules citations would be helpful.

If B1 has the ball "inbounds", how can they make a legal throw-in? If they can't make a legal throw-in, how can the ball be at their disposal?

(To avoid B "gaming the system" by not taking the ball OOB, we start the count when, in our judgment, they could have had the ball OOB, but choose not to.)

The throw-in period starts in-bounds when the official determines that the ball is available-i.e. at the disposal of the thrower-in. To make a legal throw-in, they then just have to take it out-of -bounds and throw it in within their alloted 5 seconds from when the throw-in began(in-bounds). I think that I might be missing your point on this one.

To go back to the original dispute, would you grant the other team's request for a TO if the ball was available and at the disposal in-bounds of the team that was making the throw-in, Bob? If so, under what rule(s)? And what about 6.1.2SitB(a) where it says the TO can't be granted even though the ball is bouncing in-bounds if it's at the thrower's disposal?