View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 09:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by coachz_216

An offensive player catches the ball outside the arc, below FT-line extended. He know the rule about being OOB. There are 10 seconds left in the 4th and his team is down 1. He slowly dribbles toward the baseline (possibly with back the the basket, at least turned protecting the ball), the defender, in legal guarding position slides toward the baseline with him--as the offensive player continues towards the baseline, the defensive player's lead foot is going to encounter the OOB line before the offeinsive player. As soon as the offensive player is near enough the boundary that he knows his opponent's foot is OOB, he lowers he shoulder/head and charges toward the basket---

Your going to tell me this is a block???!!!

Coach, I've been telling you for hours that the RULES say that it is a block. The NFHS rules! The NFHS issues the rule book and tells us what the rules are and how they are supposed to be called. We don't have the option of saying "Hey, I don't like that rule, and I'm damnwell not gonna follow it". If we did, you might never be able to call another TO because I absolutely hate the rule that says a coach can call a TO, and so do a lot of officials.It just don't work that way for the poor guy out on the floor with the whistle in his beak. Now, I'm the guy in my Association that gets all of the little phone calls, e-mails or faxes when someone(coach or AD) thinks that one of my guys screwed something up. If it's a judgement call, I can defend my guy. But if it's a rule that someone clearly screwed up, what response do I have? Do you honestly think that someone is gonna accept me telling them that "yes, we called it wrong by rule, but we really think that the rule was wrong in the first place, so we called it the way that we think the rule should be"?

This play isn't a judgement call, Coach. It's not contact on a rebound or a dribbler, or 3 seconds or something that we can judge as not really affecting the play. If we do make a call on this play, the rules say that the only call that can be made is a block. It's that simple. [/B]
Unless a state decides to play by a different rule or interpretation, which (as another poster has posted) *IS* its option. Why are some people so thick over this?