View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by OldCoachNewRef
A1 rises to attemp a jump shot. B1 rises with A1 and blocks the shot out of A1's hands. While A1 and the ball are still in the air, A1 recovers the ball, comes back to the floor and starts a new dribble. Official rules the play is legal. Is the official correct?

This was a test question in class. Having just read through the case book I answered No. I got the question wrong.

4.43.3 sit A: A1 jumps to try for a goal. B1 also jumps and... (c) touches the ball and A1 returns to the floor holding the ball...
Ruling: ....In (c) a travelling violation.

My question, is there a difference between a block and a touch? Is this up to the judgement of the official?
You have 3 possible calls on this play:

1. A1 shoots and B1 blocks it. Control for purposes of a travelling violation ENDED on the shot, so play on.

2. A1 goes up and B1 gets a hand(s) on the ball and stops the release of the ball on a try or pass. Held ball and go to arrow.

3. A1 goes up and B1 touches the ball, but does not stop the shot and A1 never releases the ball for a try, A1 returns to the floor for the old "up and down" travelling call.