View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ABoselli
Ah - you've touched on a sore subject for me.

Coaches rate us on a 1-5 scale. 1 being superior and 5 being terrible. We get our playoff assignments from our rating the prior year. One 5 and you're dead.

Throw a DPI a coach doesn't like? 5. Sideline warning? 5. Displease him in any way - you're sunk. "You're all getting 5's!" is a coach's threat heard every so often during games. One coach left a game card up in his office from the prior week with a 5 next to each official's name. Class guy, he is. Implicit threat to the guys working his game that night.

Nobody can/will address it. We're stuck with it.
We don't use the rating cards the coaches send in. We just use them as laughing material. I am thankful that we don't use them because I once went to a game and during the pregame with the coach I glanced at his desk and the card was already filled out before the game was even played. How could that possibly be fair in rankings if the card was already filled out. As you mentioned a call that may be right could earn you a 5 because it goes against his team. Coaches have the ability here to scratch us and both schools have to mutally agree upon the crew assigned, but their ratings have no importance.