View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Never any intent to "shoot" you, Z. You know that. And I've also been around long enough to know that you had better do exactly what your interpreter tells you to do- at least if you feel like doing some games every now and then. I just can't understand how they can issue that ruling though. It's not an interpretation of an existing rule; it's telling their constituents to IGNORE an existing rule in favor of their own strictly local rule. Now you got every state in the Union calling it one way, except for Washington who's calling it a different way. Don't make sense to me.
I think other states do some of this too based on what I've read here. Doesn't one state start games with a coin flip rather than a jump ball? Don't some states use a shot clock which isn't approved by NFHS? I have a huge problem with individual interpreters, officials or assignors trying to implement their own ideas but I don't have problems with it if it's at a statewide level. The NFHS rule book contains the following statement:

Member associations of the NFHS independently make decisions regarding compliance with or modification of these playing rules for the student-athletes in their respective states

Our state's executive director is a former basketball official and he has made directives in the past which don't always follow NFHS rules. One he made a few years ago concerned block/charge calls. His statement was, "if there is a contact and a body hits the floor, there had better be a whistle." He is also famous for attending the officials meetings prior to state tournaments and saying, "Don't take advantage/disadvantage too far... a foul is a foul is a foul." Officials who don't heed his advice don't last long at state tournaments.

Personally, I've seen a far cleaner, far prettier, far more finesse game in this state since he has made his emphasis clear.

Right or wrong, the game is much better here for his efforts, IMHO.

Z