View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Here is where I disagree.

You cannot catch the ball and attempt a shot in .3
By rule .3 must expire on a catch (personally I think you can get a shot off in .3 becuase you see NBA guys do it)
Read the rule again 5-2-5. It just says no basket may be scored. It says nothing about attempting a shot or begining the shooting motion. The rule is stating that the ball cannot leave the hand after a catch with .3 or less on the clock.

Are we bailing out Team A to call it this way? No. Team B bailed out Team A with idiotic defense.

Quote:

If it appeared it would be a tap for a try I believe you could have the foul on a shot..

I think the rule is pretty clear that if the ball is caught before the try there is no goal. Tells me there is no try when ball is caught and you cannot shoot 2.

The catch itself is .3. He cannot be in shooting motion when he is catching the ball. If he catches then shoots. There can be no shot since the catch kills the time. You cannot have the sequence of events. in .4 or greater Yes you can.

I think if there is a foul here it is a common foul...
You are saying in .4 seconds you can have the catch, start and finish of the shooting motion and release of the ball. I agree. But in .3 seconds you can only have a catch??? There's an awful lot going on in the .1 second. In your interpretation you have the start and finish of a shooting motion. I think all the book is saying is that with .3 or less that shooting motion does not have time to finish (ie. the ball being released). Even with more time on the clock there is no guarantee that A1 will be able to catch, start and finish the shooting motion before time expires.

I still think there is time to start the shooting motion with .3 on the clock, but the shooter will never get the shot off in time. I also think that there is no guarantee that A1 will have begun his/her shooting motion before time expires. I a just saying there is time to start the try before time expires (just not enough time to finish the try).