View Single Post
Old Wed Apr 11, 2001, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Since my College doubleheader was rained out this afternoon,I guess the next best thing is to "talk" umpiring.I had a situation that occured last week in which a possible obstuction called was missed.We had a runner on second base,when the batter chopped the ball down the first base side.I was the PU so my immediate priority was the ball being fair or foul,and then to watch the batter-runner for a 3 foot lane violation.My partner was in the slot behind the SS and he had to position himself to make his call at first.(which was a whacker)The third base coach called time at plays end and complained R2 was obstructed coming into 3rd.I discussed the play with my partner and niether of us were able to see the play.Fortunately,I was able to to make the coach understand what had happened without much problem.Explaining that the ball remained in the infield and obstruction didnt guarantee the runner would have been awarded home.It would have been our judgement under NHFS rules to award her the base we believe she would have reached had there been no obstruction.My question is,did we miss coverage on that play or is that just one of the trouble spots in a 2 man crew? Jeff