View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 10:52am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by TerpZebra
You're right, we don't get paid for these. But you can put any miles/meals/lodging/expenses towards your taxes every year. This includes but is not limited to:

-camps you go to
-meetings
-equiment you have to buy
-scrimmages you attend
-tests you take
-association fees you must pay
-etc
That all sounds great, but that is money they will not see or benefit from for several months to come. Of course you can write off that stuff, but when you have an opportunity to spend money that you do not have, you might want to not spend it at all. And whether we like it or not, that factors in with many potential officials. I know when I started (I was in college), I had to borrow the $300+ dollars to get my equipment. It is easy for us that have been around the block awhile, but if someone has to spend some serious money to start out with, that can easily discourage folks to not start. That has to be addressed by us. We cannot talk about what it was like when we started 20 years ago. We have to deal with the gas prices, societal issues and in many cases the job market or concerns all have to be looked at in the current situation. Especially when we are talking about the college aged individuals that might one day officiate. I have noticed a lot of guys in their 40s that are starting to officiate and they have some of the same concerns. But they have children in college or a wife that might be resistant to the idea of spending that kind of money to stay away from home.

Peace