View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 09, 2004, 02:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
Quote:
Originally posted by cford
Quote:
ART. 3 An intentional foul is a personal or technical foul designed to stop or keep the clock from starting, to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position, contact away from the ball or when not playing the ball. It may or may not be premeditated and is not based on the severity of the act. A foul also shall be ruled intentional if while playing the ball a player causes excessive contact with an opponent.
What does this mean? What are some examples?

Because someone with good rebounding position can be backed out of their spot and I don't ever see anyone calling an intentional foul.
You should start to get a good idea from some of the above responses...

Your rebounding scenario would not be considered an intentional, unless the fouler is getting violent.

Let's not be too quick to say that. What cford asks does have some solid basis in the rules. After I gave my initial and perhaps too quick answer, I did a little research on this question and found the following:

4.19.3 Situation C: Team A leads by three points with four seconds remaining in the fourth quarter. Team A is to throw-in from a spot out of bounds on the end line. Players begin jockeying for positions just after the official has handed to ball to A1. B1, while trying to deny a pass from A1 to A2: (a) grabs A2's arm; or (b) pushes A2 from behind. RULING: In (a) and (b), it is an intentional personal foul designed to keep the clock from starting or to neutralize an opponent's obvious advantageous position.