View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 08:48am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by blindzebra
Quote:
Originally posted by BktBallRef
You can't tell him anything, Mark. Bob Jenkins and I have been trying to tell him the same thing for the past week. He just isn't interested in reading the rule and then properly interpreting it.

Fortunately, the NCAA is very clear on this. The NF does not offer a case play but this is not listed as a difference in NCAA and NFHS rules, of which I have an entire book of.
How about telling me rule support for your OPINION?

BZ:

We have given you rules references. Its called the definitions of guarding, screening, and closely guarded, which you will find in Rule 4. You can also read about the closely guarded violation in Rule 9. From there you can go to the Casebook and read about these situation is the appropriate sections. The Illustrated Rules Book has a very good picture showing a violation where teammates are screening the ball, not to be confused with a player setting a screen, from a defender along a boundary line. Also re-read the two plays I gave in my original post.

Let me add more plays to this thread:

Play 3: A1 is in his front court and holding a live ball. B1 has obtained/established a legal guarding postion against A1. When B1 first obtained/established his legal guarding position against A1 he was twelve feet away from A1. B1 has not move from his spot on the court, when B2 steps between B1 and A1 at a spot eight feet from A1. B2 has both feet on the floor and is facing A1. Has B2 obtained/established a legal guarding position against A1? YES.

Play 4: Referring to Play 3, when B2 obtained/established his legal guarding position against A1, is B1 still considered to be guarding A1? NO.

Play 5: Referring to Play 3, instead of taking the position described in this play, B2 takes a position besides B1 and has both feet on the floor and is facing A1. Has B2 obtained/established a legal guarding position against A1? Yes. Follow up questioin: Are both B1 and B2 in legal guarding positions against A1? YES.

Play 6: In Plays 3, 4, and 5, has B1 or B2 caused a closely guarded situation to occur? NO.

Play 7: Referring to Play 1, after B2 obtains a legal guarding position against A1, he then moves to within five feet of A1. Does this cause a closely guarded situation to occur? YES.

Lets go back to my Play 2:

Play 2: Same situation as in Play 1 but A3 is standing in between A2 and B2. Has B2 obtained/established a legal guarding position against A2? Has B2 created a closely guarded situation to be in effect? No; and no. Follow-up question: Since B2 has not obtained/established a legal guarding position against A2, has B2 obtained/established a legal guarding position against any player on Team A? And if so, who? The answers are YES, and B2 has obtained/established a legal guarding position against A3 but not against A2.

The rules are pretty clear, just look at the defintions of guarding and screening.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio