Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by RookieDude
Mark,
Red Neck's question sounds alot like question #89 on the NFHS test.
#89. The official should not grant a player's request for a time-out until after an injured player has been replaced when a substitute is available.

True or False?

I put False sorta based on what you were "dancing around".

The answer to NFHS #89 is True. Case book play 3.3.1SitD(c) refers to a bleeding player, but the rule is the same for injured players also. Note that this case book play refers to a player on the opposing team to the injured/bleeding player trying to call a TO before the injured/bleeding player is replaced. The TO request in this particular case is denied until the injured/bleeding player on the opposing team is substituted for.

[Edited by Jurassic Referee on Nov 8th, 2004 at 06:32 AM]
I did in fact note that your case cited involved a player on the opposing team.
I was just wondering why I would have to replace injured player A1 with a sub...before team A's time-out...when a coach may decide to use this time-out to "buy" player A1 back into the game.
Are you saying the Coach must notify us prior to the time-out that he/she will be calling a time-out to keep the player in the game...thus not providing a sub for the injured/bleeding player?

Also, JR, what if you have two opposing injured/bleeding players and both coaches will buy their respective players back into the game with a time-out (3-3-6 Note)...except Coach B does not decide to do this untill the end of Coach A's time-out?
Could this end up being successive time-outs by opposing teams?

RD,
Please note that the time-out allows the player to remain in the game. It does not allow the coach to buy the player's way back into the game. See the Note following articles 5 and 6 in 3-3.
The correct procedure is to get a replacement player BEFORE granting a time-out, if the coach isn't going to try to keep that player in the game. You must ask the coach otherwise you can't know his intention. If he tries to get the injured/bleeding player ready to play by the end of the time-out, but is unable to do so, he can either take another time-out or choose to replace him at that time.
If you have two opposing players in this situation you ask BOTH coaches what they intend to do. If one side elects to substitute, then you give him his 30 second replacement period first and then grant the opponents time-out. If both elect to replace or both choose to go the time-out route, then these timing periods run concurrently.
Lastly, one side may take a 30 and the other a full TO. You still start them at the same time, but the team which took the 30 has to have their player ready to play in 30 seconds or else they must take another TO or substitue at the conclusion of their opponents TO.