View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 08, 2004, 04:45am
Official Forum Member

I've had that happen to me before, and you find it difficult at first, especially at lower level MS games where you don't want some idiot coach ruining a game for the kids. The thing is, you've got to separate the emotional aspect from it, you are NOT changing the outcome of the game, the coach is by his actions. You are merely doing your job. Failure to penalize the coach in this situation means that you as an official are not doing your job.

There are a couple important things to know here regarding why to penalize and why it has come down to a game changing scenario. Since the behavior's coming late, more likely than not it's because you didn't take care of the coach early in the game, so you made your own job difficult later. I wasn't there but typically this is the case. Secondly, if you don't penalize here, you've now given the coach license to do the same thing to the officials in his next game. You gotta look out for your fellow officials, and if some people don't take care of the bench, then all coaches will start taking liberties. Anyone who says: "I'm thick skinned" has the wrong mindset because the coach will then feel justified in doing the same thing to the rookie working the next game who's not thick skinned and can't deal with the coach.

A technical foul is simply another rule, it's a penalty that should be called based on merit at any time during the game.