Thread: timing issue...
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 04:41pm
Official Forum Member

To Bob M.:

1) The ruling does not have to jive with 3-4-2a because 3-4-2b has subsections 1, 2 and 3 that relate to both (a) and (b),

2) I contend that the inbounds tackling of B who is in possession of the ball is an action that requires an officials time out due to the change of team possession. It is not two separate events. This is probably the source of the difference between the "Ready" people and the "Snap" people.

3) As for the "logic" involved, I'm using the end result as a reality check. If we started the clock on the ready after a penalty enforcement, we are declaring that the penalty was the only reason the clock stopped. But the covering official stopped the clock because of something other than the penalty (the truth is, he may not have even known there was a flag, but stopped the clock properly anyway). This holds true for any penalty enforcement. In my last posting, I was not referring to anytime we start the clock on the ready, only when we start the clock on the ready after a penalty. Sorry for my not being clear.

To mcrowder:

The three subsections in 3-4-2b refer to both (a) and (b) so you do not have to have the awarding of a new series for B to have one of the exceptions apply.