View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 12:18pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
I'm going into my second year as an official, after what I thought was pretty good rookie season. I have been assigned many JV Boys and Girls games. Last year I only worked one JV level game.

Not sure if I'm a little jittery about the "move up", or if I'm just excited to get the season started.

How do you folks feel at this time of the year?

Hartsy

This could be a difference with an area, but officials where I started always did JV games when they started. The talent is better with JV games, but at least where I was it was not a bigger deal or considered a "move up." Actually, the sophomore prelim games were more stressful because there were more fans and more people paying attention. I do not think you will find much of a difference with JV games as it relates to atmosphere. If you can handle those freshman games, the JV games tend to be easier to call. Just continue to call the obvious.

Now having said that, officiating is like riding a bike. I remember my second year I had some varsity games and I was really nervous before that season at most of my games early on. Each year the intensity of that feeling would go away. Now I am feeling more anticipation than nervousness. That had to come with time and more games I have worked. But what you feel is very normal and common amongst all officials.

Peace