View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Hartsy
I'm going into my second year as an official, after what I thought was pretty good rookie season. I have been assigned many JV Boys and Girls games. Last year I only worked one JV level game.

Not sure if I'm a little jittery about the "move up", or if I'm just excited to get the season started.

How do you folks feel at this time of the year?

Hartsy

I think you will find that it is "easier" to ref games as you move up. Let me explain. You will have less traveling, double dribbles, fumbled balls etc. The skill level will be better. That being said you will have higher expectations in terms of rule knowledge, mechanics, court coverage, communication with the table and your partner and your "people skills" in dealing with the coach and players. If you have a good grasp of the rules and mechanics you will have confidence when you walk on the court. Be sure to have a good pregame with your partner and after the game discuss with your partner how he/she thought you performed. Don't be offended by what they say. File away the useful information and trash can those things that you positively know that are wrong. Also keep a journal on each game and review it periodically. If it's a prelim game and the varsity officials are there early. Ask them what you did right and what you did wrong. Above all, hustle, look good and have fun.

Relax you'll do fine. Good luck this season.