Thread: timing issue...
View Single Post
Old Thu Nov 04, 2004, 10:19am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mikesears
My Quote
"You are getting to hung up on the phrase, "The action that causes the down to end did not also stop the clock".

I do get hung up on interpreting the rules correctly.

Hung up was a bit incorrect. I think you are interpretting the rule incorrectly. I'm not trying to be argumentative but you have not interpretted them correctly. Seven of us interpret the rules to mean it starts on the ready for play. Just because you believe differently doesn't automatically make your interpretation correct.

[/i]My Quote
"After a change of possession, we simply have an officials timeout. The clock starts on the ready after an official's timeout UNLESS something else happened to stop the clock. Runner out of bounds, incomplete pass, ball out bounds, etc".[/i]

Don't forget an interception.

I hope you don't stop the clock after an interception. I hope you wait until the ball is dead. It is the ACTION that causes the ball to become dead (i.e that causes the down to end) to determines when we start the clock.

Question: What actions cause the ball to become dead? Of those actions, which cause the clock to start on the snap and which ones cause the clock to start on the ready?

[/B]
Mike: you know that I mean stopping the clock after the interceptor is down. I've said so a couple of times here.