View Single Post
Old Mon Apr 09, 2001, 09:04pm
Official Forum Member

Smile

I am new to this website and have been enjoying the threads.I umpire high school and Div III sotball games in Eastern Pa.I had an interesting appeal attempt in a varsity H.S game I thought I would share with everyone.R1 missed second base en route to third on a single to right.We now have runners on first and third when the defensive coach decided to appeal.He ordered his pitcher to get on the rubber and make her appeal.The pitcher said she was appealing the lead runner missing second and threw the ball to second base while standing on the rubber.Since the coach is one of our least liked in the area,you can imagine his reaction when I called an ILLEGAL pitch and voided his appeal.The runner scored from third and I moved the runner on first to second,and called ball 1 on the batter!You can just imagine his reaction then,but he stayed civil so I could keep him in the ball game.When he asked for another appeal I denied him of course,because an appeal can not be made after a "pitch"whether legal or illegal.Isnt it great when you have the "know it all coach"right where you want him.