Thread: In the Crease
View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 02, 2004, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sal Giaco
Listen "snapper head" - For your information, I umpire college baseball and I know better than to get on officials. In fact, nobody really said a word about the call and even if they did, I would never pile on an official. Moreover, my 7 yr old son complained about the call after the game and I shut him up real quick and told him to show some respect for the officials - afterall, he did make the CORRECT call.

Now, getting back to what we were discussing. Let me rephrase the question, how often is "in the crease" called at the mite (7 & 8 yr old) level. For example, when I used to umpire little league, we would call a much larger strike zone because the kids weren't very accurate with the pitching. Now that may not be an apples to apples comparison but I would imagine that there are some things officials are more leanient on at the younger levels (or maybe not - I'm not familiar with hockey officiating)

Please understand, I am not being critical and if I came off that way, I apologize. I'm just trying to get a feel for how "tight" the game is called at this level compared to what we see on T.V. I know the games are totally different but perhaps they're officiated the same way. Given the situation I explained, would you have made that same call? Explain why or why not - Thanks again for your time!
Apology accepted, and I did take it as being critical of the officiating. Maybe I am a little sensitive to new officials because I spend the time teaching them the basics in the clinics, in CT. I tell them that unlike coaches and players, the only practise they get is in real games. So their mistakes can be detremental. There are some coaches, parents and players that just can NOT accept this. Mostly the coaches and parents.

My other sport is also baseball. Where I have officiated at the LL through College ranks myself. I tend to believe that a lot of new officials tend to have to small of a strike zone. Just as in hockey , the more experienced officials usually know the rules better and therefore sometimes even understand the latitude given to us in the rule books.

Either way , I have been on the critizing end myself and understand that sometimes venting leads to understanding. Understanding leads to maturity. Maturity, well that means were getting better and older. The better part is good, the older, well. Good Luck.