View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 10:34am

Mick, I respectfully disagreee.

Effective communication of your opinion is an important tool in officiating. We are sometimes involved in heated arguments and require the ability to maintain control while handling sticky situations. I've been involved in many discussions that have led to name calling and finger pointing. I'm still able to sleep at night and know that the barbs they toss mean very little in the scheme of things.

I hope you've been around long enough to have seen some of the better officials handle these fracases. Some are able to do it with a look, others with a few zingers of their own. Some of us can accomplish the job without acting like toddlers. A wise old umpire once told me, “You may never covince them that your right, but never let them prove you wrong.” That is all that is transpiring here. The members can see who is winning the battle. I have not one all of them, but, I’ve learned from all of them. I’m fairly certain that some of our members are learning what not to say to someonone who can argue well.

Lastly, you and Bob can edit or delete any post that crosses the line. You have exercised this ability to some success. I encourage you to act like a judge - sit back , listen (smile occassionally when a well chosen turn of words comes your way) and control the situation. The jury recognizes the merit of the arguments. Our members are particularly vocal when one of us missteps. That is the beauty of officiating. We have to be on our toes all of the time. The ones that survive and thrive have learned that not all battles are worth blood.

BTW - I won $100 on the Maize and Blue, so I'm starting the week in a good mood.