View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 01, 2004, 08:58am
Ref Ump Welsch

Be careful about ejecting administrators from a game. That's a no-no in some states, unless the officials can prove to the state association that the administrator was "abusive or beligerant", etc. I was frustrated at an administrator (and yes, it was my principal) once while keeping score for a basketball game (I was the home book, therefore the official book) because his actions were right in front of me and distracting. The referee asked the administrator to take it to the end of the bench or in the hallway, otherwise leave the gym. The administrator looked at the referee, and said, if I leave, the state will have a word with you. A few days later, I was given a memo from this administrator, with a copy of a memo from the state association. Lo and behold, it stated that an administrator cannot be kicked out for something simple as this. It stated that it would have to be an "egregarious" (I know I spelled that wrong!) act to justify ejection. I was like, great, the principal can do little **** like this and I have to endure it. Of course, the principal and I had a little bit of a history and the years I had to endure him were some of the worse in my professional life.