Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by Nevadaref
Serious question: If the player does gain an advantage by touching a person who is OOB is this a violation or a T?
I think the answer is clear under nfhs. I believe their rule says it's a T for going OOB for an unauthorized reason (I don't have my new book yet, did they change the wording on that?). So you go with the violation.
That's a heckuva question too. I tried to figure out a situation where a player COULD gain an advantage by touching a person OOB, and the only one I could come up with is a player holding the ball, starting to lose his balance, and then touching a nearby coach standing OOB to regain his balance. Not too likely to happen for sure, but what-if? The NCAA has the easy call- violation-, but I think that it's still a "T" if you strictly apply the current NFHS rule. You gotta call something in this case because the player certainly did gain an unfair advantage, but is there any alternative to a "T"?
It is a good question, and your sitch is exactly the one I had in mind too. And I started to write something about the ncaa case as well but since it's a violation either way I left it out. Now, if we can somehow figure out how this might happen in order to deceive, then we have a T and something to talk about

But I don't get why we're forced to T the kid for this. If he's lost his balance & uses a person OOB to keep himself in doesn't he gain an advantage & fit the newly worded HS case play?