View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 29, 2004, 07:16am
Official Forum Member

Re: What about this twist?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Jaysef
We had a Varsity team inform us of a gadget play where the center maintains possession after snapping to the QBs hands,

Did the center release the ball? If not, this is a snap infraction.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jaysef
placing it back on the turf and running with the ball.

If the center immediately releases the ball by simply put the ball on the ground, then this is a play that team A MUST notify the referee they are going to run before the play in which they run it. (Planned loose ball play in the vicinity of the snapper).

Quote:
I told Coach to be sure R is informed when they were going to use this, and they did about 3 times.
Good call.

Quote:
Was I in error letting this happen? Reading the previous threads, do I understand the ball to be live when the snap is complete (possesed by another A player, or on the ground?)
If the center snaps the ball to the QB's hands (simply striking the QB's hands) and THEN puts the ball on the ground, this is a snap infraction for two reasons. It wasn't released immediately and the snap had a downward movement. If the QB puts the ball on the ground, the play is legal provided the following:

1. R must be notified before the down in which they run the play.

2. QB must place the ball on the ground. He can't hand it forward to the snapper.