Thread: Handling Fans
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 28, 2004, 05:27am
Official Forum Member

During High School games this usually is not the case and does not often happen. But when it does, and I did have a case of this at a Varsity game where there were fans and or parents on the sideline where they really should not have been in the first place. Example: Team A (Home Team) playing defense, Team B has the ball. There is a hit after the whistle, my Line Judge throws the flag for a personal foul, late hit. The defensive player goes down and stays down. I go over to confer with my Line Judge, everyone on the home side wants me to eject the offending player, I ask him if the foul deserves an ejection, he says no, definitely not. I signal the penalty to the press box, by this time I have assistant coaches screaming for the offending kids head on a plate. I walk over to tell the home head coach exactly what my Line Judge told me. He of course does not agree and thinks the kid should be ejected also, by this time, the fans and or parents on the sideline are getting chippy. I see the AD and walk up to him and ask him to clear this side of the field that does not include the team box. He says he will take care of it and beckons me on my way back to the field. By this time, my Line Judge has heard enough and throws another flag, this time a sideline warning for the home side. There are only about thirty seconds left on the clock, I decide to ask the coaches if they would mind ending the game at this point so no further incidents happen. They both agree and I then call the game. During this time the AD has tried to clear his end of the field, the people see we have ended the game and start yelling at us various things I can't mention here. Basically they wanted me to eject the kid from the contest which after conferring with the ref who called the violation, said it was not necessary. By the way, the home team was winning handily at this time but we still got nothing but grief from the crowd. It goes to show you that when emotions run high, if there is no control at the field level, anything could happen. This time the AD did his job and did it well, we had no problems leaving the field and no more incidents were recorded, no one was ejected. And the home team won the game handily. Crowd control is always the responsibility of the home administrator. At the youth level, if there is no Field Marshal, it usually falls to the Head Coaches. Sorry this was so long, but I had a little to get off my chest. Thanks.