Thread: 80 yard field
View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Bizarre final game of the season (maybe ever) for me today.

Junior high game on an 80-yard field. 40 is midfield. The school just can't fit more than an 80-yard field on their campus. Not only that, but it's in a bowl and the ends curl up, so in one end zone, you're going uphill from about the four yard line on in, and in the other end zone, the slope up starts right around the goal line.

So they've dealt with it for years. We're going to move PAT tries (no goalposts, either, so no kicks) to the 12 1/2 and pretend the 10 is the goal line just for PATs. Kick off from the 30 instead of the 40.

First kickoff of the game goes into the end zone (and up the hill) and the referee (two-man game) says we're going to bring touchbacks to the 10 instead of the 20 because of the short field. Fair enough. Both coaches seem okay with it. They both got at least one go their way, so whatever.

Third quarter, kid snaps a punt up the hill and out of the end zone for a safety. Free kick at the 20, right? We started to line them up that way, and one coach said "We've been doing touchbacks from the 10, why not kick from the 10 after a safety?" Sounded reasonable to me. Referee went with it. Nobody complained. One team won 33-8 anyway and it wasn't a big deal.

Anybody ever have to deal with an 80-yard field (or something less than regulation)?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.