View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 27, 2004, 04:42am
Official Forum Member

Holy Smokes, Batman!

Wow! I'm really surprised by the number of people in this thread who provided incorrect answers.
The precise way to handle these penalties is detailed on pages 67 and 68 of the Rules Book. It appears that ALL of us should go read that section as a refresher, and then hope that we never have a need for it.
Looking at what many people wrote, it appears that some people are assuming that they know this procedure, when they really don't.
I say this because:
Many who responded wanted to shoot lots of FTs for the BENCH PERSONNEL (The kids on the bench in uniform are not PLAYERS, but rather are properly called TEAM MEMBERS. Likewise, the adults (coaches), student managers, and injured student athletes not suited up to play are bench personnel. This may seem picky, but those are the correct definitions, see 4-34. With that in mind, I was greatly disappointed to see the NFHS incorrectly use the term "PLAYER(S)" and "bench player" in the final comment on the rule revisions on page 72 of the Rules Book, when refering to these people.) leaving the bench who didn't participate, when you can only shoot a MAXIMUM of 2 FTs, if the number of players is unequal. You shoot 2 FTs for each when those team members participate in the fight and the numbers are unequal. Whatever doesn't cancel out is awarded.
Also, some stated that the coach is charged an indirect for each player who left the bench, but didn't fight. One poster even wanted to assess the head coach an indirect T for the player on the court who was fighting! As a later poster correctly wrote, the coach only receives ONE indirect no matter how many leave the bench, if they don't fight. The coach is, however, charged an indirect T for each team member who leaves the bench and participates. Don't confuse the two!

Now there is some question as to whether the final Ts will offset. The way I read the rule (and I would love to know, if someone can demonstrate decisively that this is incorrect) is:
There are THREE Categories that the team personnel who can be penalized will fall under:
1. Player on the court who participates in the fight.
2. Team member leaving the bench, who does NOT participate.
3. Team member leaving the bench and DOES participate.

Note that Category 1 does not carry any indirect T for the head coach.

You only cancel the FTs for players in the same category.
Example:
If Team A is due 2 FTs from Category 1, but Team B is due 2 FTs for Category 2, and Team A is due 6 FTs for Category 3, the officials should administer a total of 10 free throws. 8 to Team A and 2 for Team B. The way the current Penalty rule is written these do NOT offset. (Rule 10, Summary of Penalties for All Fouls #8 a + b)

Lastly, I would like to point out something that I only noticed last night. The TEAM BENCH is different from the TEAM BENCH AREA. The definitions are in 1-13. You will notice that the TEAM BENCH is entirely off the court, but that the TEAM BENCH AREA (which can be used for time-outs) extends onto the court to the nearer free-throw lane line.

The new rule change as well as the old fight rule is for players leaving the TEAM BENCH. It is not necessary that they leave the TEAM BENCH AREA in order to be charged with the flagrant technical foul. Bottom line: If they step inbounds, they have infringed the rules.

Sorry for ranting and being pedantic, but if this situation does arise, please, let's get it right!

[Edited by Nevadaref on Oct 27th, 2004 at 05:45 AM]