View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PSU213
There is a difference between a block being illegal and it being a legal cheap shot. While I suppose we could debate if it should be flagged in a HS game (and I don't want to get into was the ball in the FBZ and whatnot), at that level, there is not as much of a burden on the officials to "prevent" injuries, etc. (unless of course, it is a revenue generating player, which a D-lineman is not).

On a somewhat related note, in the Purdue-Wisconsin game the weekend before last, there was no snap due to a false start, but an O-lineman right at the whistle, blocked a D-lineman low (it would have been a legal block had the play run, and, as I said, it was right as the whistle was blowing for the false start, so it was not late at all). The announcers said it was "a legal chop block."
Often I hear coaches and players complain because they're getting chop blocked. It is at that point I ask them to define chop blocking, they usually don't even try, but some give a shotty definition of blocking below the waste.