View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member

Lightbulb

I'm sure the many refs out there have seen some stupid things during their time, but tonight I saw the dumbest thing I have ever seen in the 4 years of officiating flag football here at the University I goto.

I was referee tonight for a game between two frats. There is an illegal motion on the offense and my line judge throws a flag and continues to officiate. When the play ends he blows his wistles and comes over to tell me the penalty he has. I meet him about 3 yds from the side line and as he begins to tell me his penalty a fan steps off the sideline (we allow spectators to be on the teams sideline, provided they behave themselves) and looks down at the flag and goes "I wonder what it would be like to throw one of these." I begin shaking my head to indicate that he should not do that and halfway in disbelief that anyone would do something that stupid. However, he picks up my back judge's flag and throws it straight in the air. So I reach and throw my flag into the air. I charge the team captain with the unsportsmanlike conduct penalty and we continue the game.

The rest of the team kept telling him to just go home, because if they got another UC penalty they would be out of the playoffs (they need a certain sportsmanship rating in order to move along, if they win).

Just thought I'd share. I welcome any other stories you guys might have out there.