View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 26, 2004, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

Another 2 cents

Let me just say that I know where you are coming from. Although I am not 6'5", I hung up the shoes after a successful career. Basically, playing was not a lot of fun any longer. And don't take this the wrong way, but I thought I knew a lot too at first seeing that I had played quite a bit of ball, but nothing could have been further from the truth. I had game knowledge, but didn't know anything about the actual rules. So prepare yourself for a shock.

Apart from the advice given here, which BTW is all good, I just want to add a couple of things to your growing list.

First, work, work, work. Take all the games you can get. The more you work, the more you see, the more you miss, the more experience you gain. In other words, the more you work, the more comfortable you will become on court and the more situations you will have encountered. Officiating is basically dealing with situations (i like to say situational ethics). Calling lines is easy, it is dealing with situations and more importantly dealing with people that in my opinion go a long way in making a good official.

Secondly, try not to become upset when things do not go well which is often when you are just starting. In other words, when you screw up and/or get yelled at constantly, don't take it personally. Not that it is part of the game, but it is part of the game. If you become visibily upset, people will see it and then know how to turn your screws. So, try and relax and realize that all of us in here have screwed up many times and have been yelled at too. Also, remember that on any given call, you can only please 50 percent of the people. Some will love ya, and some will want to kill ya....aviod the ones that want to kill you BTW.

Somehow, if you can overcome the constant attacks by players, coaches, and fans, you will be on your way.

What it comes down to is that you need a balance. You need good rule knowledge, mechanics, appearance, and intestinal fortitude. After all that, have some fun! Despite the horror or war stories, it has been a lot of fun for me over the years. I have enjoyed it and I'm glad that some official saw me playing 19 years ago and encouraged me to become a official.

goose

p.s. I can confirm that Chuck was a pretty boy when he came on the board!! I remember it well!!