View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Umpiring a 12-U tournament this past weekend. I'm the FU. Offensive coach is wanting me to call an IP on F1 stating that she is breaking contact with the rubber prior to pitching. From my vantage point, even though she lifted her heel, it looked like the ball of her foot was still in contact with the pitching plate. I tell the coach from my vantage point it doesn't appear she is breaking contact with the pitchers plate, that even though her heel is coming up, it looks like the ball of her foot is still in contact. When I went to sweep the pitcher's plate between inning, there's about 2 inches of dirt in front of the plate before the crater starts. It's obvious that if her heel comes up, there's very little chance of the ball the foot maintaining contact.

Here's my question: Now that you have seen this, do you start calling IP's?

Even after I saw the dirt(and from all three positions in the field) it still looked like she was maintaining contact. So I never called it for two reasons: 1) it looked like she was maintaining contact and 2) she definitely was not gaining an advantage because the other team was hitting her very well (4-0 after two innings and should have scored more except for two coaching errors that cost them some runs.)

Any thoughts?