View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 25, 2004, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

"locate the ball?" I don't think so! The rule is based on the pitcher having the ball, not the runner "finding it." After stopping, the runner is supposed to "immediately" go back or go forward. I suspect that my "immediately" might be kind of long in this case. If the defensive coach objected, I would remind him that "immediate" is my judgment. (Of course, my judgment might be a little affected by his cheap trick.)

Verbal obstruction? Is there such a thing? Can you verbally impede the progress of a runner? I think that is a stretch. You have both verbal and physical actions by the defensive players, but they are not preventing the runner from reaching a base. Tricking her, maybe, but not hindering her.

If the runner allowed either of those fielders to get to 2B without her moving; and if the pitcher threw to 2B and the runner is tagged out I would have to allow the out.

Now if this team is full of dirty tricks, then when this one was pulled I might have an inadvertent time out to clean the plate. When the D-coach screams, I would apologize (“sorry, I knew the pitcher had the ball, and I didn’t realize the runner was still off the base”) but it’s too late now to correct.

Both the “immediate judgment” and the inadvertent T.O. would be a form of FYC and delivered in such a manner that the coach should get it.

WMB