View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
You said in your original play that R2 was out on a close play at home, but was obstructed by F6 on the way to third. If you, as the BU, are protecting R2 to home, you are doing so because you thought he would have made it home safely, if not for obstruction.

So, if the BR would have taken 2nd on the throw home, assuming there was no obstruction, then he would deserve 2nd if R2 was out at home on obstruction, because at that point you kill the play.

From the way I read it, I would think if R2 is safe at home, there is no need to kill the play, and you should let the continuing action play itself out.

But the last part is my interpretation and could be wrong?

Comments anyone?
An umpire who calls obstruction can't always know, at the instant he makes the obstruction call, exactly how far he is going to protect that runner. He has to take a "wait and see" outlook on it. True?

For instance, when a batter hits the ball into the corner and, while rounding 1st, he is obstructed by F3, would an umpire immediately protect him to the plate? Unlikely. Yet, as the play unfolds and the batter is going for the inside-the-parker and is thrown out by a slim margin, the umpire could then decide to protect him to the plate ... something he was uncertain of while the play was still in its infancy.

The same can be said about the play in question. The BU calls the obstruction on F6 between 2nd and 3rd and doesn't necessarily make an immediate determination.

I don't see how the obstruction of R2 effects the BR. We really can't ask the question, "Would the BR had made second had it not been for the obstruction?" because it's completely unrelated to the obstruction. How could the fact that F6 obstructed R2 have any impact on the BR's attempt to reach 2nd on his hit?

I believe there are four possiblities. I would like to know if anybody has alternate solutions:

The BU decides to protect R2 to the plate:

1. R2 is thrown out and play is immediately killed. The out is overturned and the BR is placed to whatever base the the umpires feel is appropriate.

2. R2 is safe and play is allowed to continue. Whatever happens to the BR is allowed to take its natural course. If he's thrown out - he's out. If he's safe - he's safe.

The BU decides not to protect R2 to the plate:

3. R2 is thrown out at the plate. The out stands and play remains live.

4. R2 is safe and play is allowed to continue.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN