View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

You said in your original play that R2 was out on a close play at home, but was obstructed by F6 on the way to third. If you, as the BU, are protecting R2 to home, you are doing so because you thought he would have made it home safely, if not for obstruction.

So, if the BR would have taken 2nd on the throw home, assuming there was no obstruction, then he would deserve 2nd if R2 was out at home on obstruction, because at that point you kill the play.

From the way I read it, I would think if R2 is safe at home, there is no need to kill the play, and you should let the continuing action play itself out.

But the last part is my interpretation and could be wrong?

Comments anyone?

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
Quote:
Originally posted by Kaliix
If the BR would have successfully advanced to second on a throw home in which R2 was safe (ie. not obstructed), then he would likely be placed on second when the play is killed because of a play on R2 at his protected base.
I'm not sure I understand your parenthetical comment above ... (ie. not obstructed). Who was not obstructed? R2 was obstructed!

Let's say that the intent of the BU is to protect R2 at the plate - especially considering how close the play was.

But, let's change things slightly. Let's say R2 was actually safe on a very close play at the plate. Would play still remain live? Could F2 fire down to 2nd and retire the BR?

On the other hand, there seems to be a consensus that IF R2 is thrown out at the plate (to which he was protected), then the play would immediately be dead. No subsequent play could be made on the BR and he (the BR) would be placed on whatever base the umpires decide.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN

Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates