Thread: Why Wait
View Single Post
Old Sun Oct 24, 2004, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Gordon,

"Given the same situation (no replay obviously) would you have corrected the call?"

ANSWER: Yes - As the PU, you have nothing else to do but trail the play at first and watch for out of the base line or interference

"Your PU no one on base. Grounder in the infield throw to first base and the first baseman is clearly off the bag and your partner bangs him out. No one complaines. Do you let it go?"

ANSWER: 99 out of 100 - I would let it go. Chances are, if no one else saw it, I don't want to "go looking for boogers". I might let partner know about it in between innings though just to make sure we are on the same page (seeing the same things)

"Your the FU batter clearly swings (you want strike three its March and your hands are numb because you forgot your gloves) partner calls ball no one appeals."

ANSWER: Assuming it's not a "third strike not legally caught situation", I'm not going to over rule him on check swings unless he comes to me for help.

Gordon - I understand what you're saying but I believe interference at first base is a little different situation than the other two examples. The main reason is that personally, I feel it is the PU's main responsibility on that play to look for interference because he has nothing else to do but to watch for that. The base umpire's main focus on that play is (safe/out, tag/no tag) at first and IF he can ALSO get the interference as well, that would be a bonus. Just my opinion though - other's may differ.