View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 23, 2004, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by David Emerling
OBR. You're the PU.

Situation: R2, two outs.

Play: Base hit into left-center field. R2 is obstructed by F6. BU calls the obstruction causing R2 to loose a step or two. Nonetheless, R2 attempts to score. The throw to the plate is a good one, and R2 is tagged out by a fairly close, yet certain, margin. He was clearly out. On the throw to the plate, the batter-runner decides to advance to 2nd.

Problem areas:

Do you signal R2 out at the plate? Even though R3 called the obstruction, how can you be sure to which base R2 is protected? Was it only 3rd? Was it home? Isn't this determination the sole province of the umpire who makes the original obstruction call?

Let's say you call R2 out at the plate. That's 3 outs. What if the catcher still had a play on the BR at 2nd? He doesn't make the throw because he heard the umpire call the out and he knows that is three outs. The inning is over. Can the umpires now get together and decide that R2 is awarded home? If so, how do you handle the defense argument ... "Hell, our catcher would have thrown down to 2nd to retire the batter! He had a good chance of getting that runner. To be fair, shouldn't you send the batter back to first? You can't pull the rug out from under us like that! Are we supposed to be mind readers? Hell, if we knew you were going to award him home, we would've cut the throw off."

I'm curious as to some of your views as to the mechanics and procedures for unraveling this problem.

Personally, I feel the PU needs to call the play exactly as he sees it. Safe or out, whatever the case may be. Now what? I don't see how the PU would have any other choice.

UNLESS ... you're of the view that the PU has the authority to throw his hands into the air when he observes R2 thrown out - awarding him home on the basis of his partner's obstruction call.

David Emerling
Memphis, TN
Concerning the protected base wouldn't it depend on where the obstruction occurred, how hard the ball was hit and the positioning of the outfielders? That aside if home is protected and BR makes it to second I would leave BR at second. On a play at the plate I think it's safe to assume BR would go for second. Can you assume a good throw and tag at second? Since defensive team caused the problem I don't think I would have much sympathy for the defensive team.