View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 02:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GBFBUmp
A scores TD and sets up in Kick formation for Try. Ball is snapped and Holder rises from kneeling position to grab the snap. Snap did not appear to be errant, but was definitely made so that holder would get up, grab ball, and then ran outside to right and over GL for 2 point.

As Ump, I did see the situation and it looked ok to me, and the rule (don't have number with me) does not state that the holder must have knee on ground. Also, I remember reading a case where it defines it as legal for holder to come off knee to grab an errant snap and go back down on knee to hold the ball for the kicker.

After the play was over and LJ and L agree that it was a good Try. 2 points awarded to A. Then the WH comes over and whispers to myself and the LJ " Are we gonna let that go?" we both agree that we think its legal, WH says ok and is going to research. We awarded the 2 points to A. I cannot seem to find the support in the rule book, other than the rule stating that the kicker may have a teammate hold the ball on a tee (says nothing about the knee). Did we get this right? I think we did.
REPLY: You did well letting the points stand. Remember that the special rules regarding a holder with his knee on the ground are really an exception to the rule which says that the ball is dead when in possession of a runner who allows something other than a hand or foot to touch the ground. (NF 4-2-2a). Note: This is one of the few places where the Fed actually characterizes a rule as an "exception." If the holder rises before he catches the snap, he's just a runner, no more, no less. UNLESS...he goes back down to a knee and then he's once again a holder operating under the exception.

There's nothing that requires a holder to have his knee on the ground. But if he does, he's allowed to operate under the exception to 4-2-2a and not cause the ball to become dead.