Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[BBob, this is not the play I have in mind.

Let's alter the AR this way: A1 does not *fall* OOB, A1 clearly *jumps* OOB to save the ball. Let's make it even more obvious by having A1 jump *over* the table & land in the 3rd row before (somehow) coming back in & being the first to touch.

This, to me, is a voluntary act.

BTW, I do agree that all the discusson has been focussed on going OOB on a screeen but it is clearly not the only play where this applies. Another play is when a player stays OOB after a throw-in or wanders OOB to an advantageous position after throwing the ball in. Obviously he would need to be the first to touch after coming in but I believe this play is illegal even under the new rule.
Then you're talking about the rest of the AR "This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the playing court. The try is unsuccessful, and A1 comes onto the playing court and regains control of the ball."

Sigh...no, I'm not, because again in this AR the shooter goes OOB inadvertently. The rules speak to a player generally going OOB as an intended or unintended act and the ARs give examples: falls OOB when off balance, momentum carries OOB after a shot, purposely running OOB to avoid a screen. In the play I am talking about the player purposely jumps OOB period. He does so for a reason not covered by the ARs but he does do it on purpose.
[/B]
Players are authorized to play basketball. Wherever the ball may be, the players are authorized to go. If the ball is heading OOB, all players are authorized to attempt to save it. The player's intent is NOT to go OOB but to save the ball. The act of going OOB is secondary to the play...even if the action which carried him/her OOB is purposeful.