Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Grail
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman
Quote:
Originally posted by Jurassic Referee
From a practical standpoint, my own personal opinion is that you'll see about as many "T"s called for this as were called for throwing a missed elbow when that action was still a "T". Iow, very few "T"s called with quite a lot more whispered "don't damn well do that"s being used.
Agreed. But in reality, I think that's how the NFHS would want it called anyway.

Game situation. Game is going along fine and no problems. Player on end of bench gets up and wanders down to get a drink.

Option 1: "Hey coach, can you help me out and keep your players in the bench area? Thanks."

Option 2: "Tweet, technical foul. Hey coach, that's an indirect on you."

Which one do you think will get you more playoff games?

Z

[Edited by zebraman on Oct 22nd, 2004 at 11:00 AM]
In answer to which will get more playoff games, Option 2, at least in the state of Illinois. When the person in charge of Boys Basketball for the state stands in front of a room with 100 officials and 20 or so coaches and says "if you expect to work playoff games, you will follow our lead and enforce the rules as we present them", I'd say in Illinois that we should enforce the rules.

Do I necessarily agree that it's the best option? Not really, but will I do as I'm told by those in charge, absolutely.

It is not our place as officials to decide which rules to enforce. If those in charge in your area don't want you to call a rule, follow their lead. If nobody gives a directive, I'd suggest you follow the book.
Easy to say Grail. When it comes right down to it, how many of those 100 officials are going to call a "T" in the middle of that nicely flowing game with absolutely no warning? Honestly. How many?

Z
Only the ones who'll work playoffs apparently, if you work in Illinois.