View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:38am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[BBob, this is not the play I have in mind.

Let's alter the AR this way: A1 does not *fall* OOB, A1 clearly *jumps* OOB to save the ball. Let's make it even more obvious by having A1 jump *over* the table & land in the 3rd row before (somehow) coming back in & being the first to touch.

This, to me, is a voluntary act.

BTW, I do agree that all the discusson has been focussed on going OOB on a screeen but it is clearly not the only play where this applies. Another play is when a player stays OOB after a throw-in or wanders OOB to an advantageous position after throwing the ball in. Obviously he would need to be the first to touch after coming in but I believe this play is illegal even under the new rule.
Then you're talking about the rest of the AR "This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the playing court. The try is unsuccessful, and A1 comes onto the playing court and regains control of the ball."
[/b]

Sigh...no, I'm not, because again in this AR the shooter goes OOB inadvertently. The rules speak to a player generally going OOB as an intended or unintended act and the ARs give examples: falls OOB when off balance, momentum carries OOB after a shot, purposely running OOB to avoid a screen. In the play I am talking about the player purposely jumps OOB period. He does so for a reason not covered by the ARs but he does do it on purpose.