View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
[BBob, this is not the play I have in mind.

Let's alter the AR this way: A1 does not *fall* OOB, A1 clearly *jumps* OOB to save the ball. Let's make it even more obvious by having A1 jump *over* the table & land in the 3rd row before (somehow) coming back in & being the first to touch.

This, to me, is a voluntary act.

BTW, I do agree that all the discusson has been focussed on going OOB on a screeen but it is clearly not the only play where this applies. Another play is when a player stays OOB after a throw-in or wanders OOB to an advantageous position after throwing the ball in. Obviously he would need to be the first to touch after coming in but I believe this play is illegal even under the new rule. [/B]
Then you're talking about the rest of the AR "This situation is similar to one in which A1 makes a try from under the basket and momentum carries A1 off the playing court. The try is unsuccessful, and A1 comes onto the playing court and regains control of the ball."

Last year, the rules allowed "saving a ball" but had "going OOB to take advantage of a screen" as a T. (Nearly) everyone thought the penalty for the second act was too severe, so they made it a violation. They didnt' make the change because anyone thought the first play was "too lenient."