View Single Post
Old Fri Oct 22, 2004, 10:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by bob jenkins

Right. But that's on the "use a screen, go OOB, come back in, get the pass" play. That's because "leving the court" is not for an authorized reason in this play.

If it's "saving the ball" that's still (I think) allowed -- here, this is an "authorized reason" to leave the court. I do know the rules book still has the AR in it that discusses this.

I agree with you that going OOB to avoid a screen (as in the AR) is different from leaping to save the ball and *unintentionally* ending up OOB. And I believe the intent of the change is simply to reduce the penalty from a T to a violation so it gets called every now & then. But the rule no longer says anything about "authorized reason", it now says "under his/her own volition", which to me means any deliberate act - including *intentionally* leaping OOB, as does happen.
7-1.a AR1 is still in the book -- and it uses the word "voluntarily" (akin to "volition"), not "authorized reason":

Until they take it out (and they might), I'll enforce it that way. None of the discussion has focused on a play like this -- it has all focused on the "screen" play.

A.R. 1. A1 blocks a pass near the end line. The ball falls to the floor in bounds but A1, who is off balance, falls outside the end line. A1 returns, secures control of the
ball, and dribbles. RULING: Legal. A1 has not left the playing court voluntarily and was not in control of the ball when leaving the playing court.