Official Forum Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: how about this

Quote:
Originally posted by MJT
Quote:
Originally posted by SouthGARef
Quote:
Originally posted by Patton
So whether he touches the ball or not, it's IP (If the ball ends up going to the opposite side of the field, I might have a hard time making that call though).
Absolutely. I've been taught that if he "participates" in the play, then to flag it. If he comes inbounds, but doesn't draw a defender, doesn't block, doesn't do anything but step inbounds to let him go. But if he draws a defender, blocks, etc. then he will be flagged.
So what are you going to do if he steps OOB's in front of the opposing coach, who knows the rule, and he is screaming at you for IP. It is "his" responsibility to "not go OOB's".
Curious as who told you to only flag it if he "participates"?
Simply going out of bounds isn't a foul. If the player came in bounds right in front of the opposing coach--and by some miracle the coach knew the rule and complained, I'd tell him that the player didn't participate in the play.

Yes, by the rule, the second he comes in bounds it is IP. But what's the purpose? To keep a player from going out of bounds and participating. If he doesn't participate, he's not gaining any advantage.