Thread: Why Wait
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 12:48pm
Official Forum Member

I think you hit the jackpot!

Quote:
Originally posted by Atl Blue
Yes, any ump CAN call interference, but that doesn't mean they should, this is still MLB. In MLB, there were 6 umps on the field, and this play took place 10' from 1B. It was Marsh's call, and West let him have it.

Maybe West didn't jump in because he was not 100% certain either. I don't think he was going to offer an opinion until Francona came out, because when Francona did come out, West pointed him down to Marsh, and it was Marsh that then walked to meet West (the origianl meeting between Marsh and West took place on the home plate side of the mound - it moved further out as the other umpires came in to join). Remember, in the post game interview, Marsh said it was West AND Kellogg that both said they saw the interference. Who knows, maybe it was Kellogg that took the lead in the umpire's conference.

I still think there is a deference, particularly in MLB, to let the ump who's call it is take the original call. I also think West may not have been 100% certain (it would not be the first time he has been caught napping!). And if he was not 110% certain, I think he was right to keep his mouth shut until asked in private.
AB,

I think you put 2 and 2 together. I questioned West not calling it, but I forgot that the discussion went further.

I would be willing to bet that West "did NOT" see the play (probably was either blocked or not paying attention as he should), and that it was Kellogg who made the call.

good point, I'd forgotten about that part of the interview.

So if PU didn't see anything wrong, there's no need to make a call.

Thanks
David