Thread: Why Wait
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I think there are some plays that we know for certain our partner would want us to intercede on.

Not long ago, my BU called a runner out on a tag at 3B. From his angle, and with F5's body blocking his vision, I'm sure he saw a clean out. But though the fielder came up with the ball in the glove, the ball had come out of the glove after the tag, and F5 had very quickly scooped it back. Now I've worked with this partner enough that we trust each other, so I immediately said, "Bill, you couldn't see it from your angle. The ball came out." He simply said and signaled, "Safe," and nobody made a peep.

It seems to me that immediate correction of calls we are absolutely sure on can save a lot of grief.

If as PU I was certain I saw Bellhorn's ball hit the fan in the stomach, I'd have gone out and conferred with the line ump right away. I wouldn't have overruled him immediately though. But remember hearing the ump telling Francona, "No it didn't," two nights ago? Having another ump inform me of what I missed so that we could correct things immediately would save me embarrassment.

Of course, pure safe and out judgment, we hold our tongue.