Thread: Why Wait
View Single Post
Old Thu Oct 21, 2004, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Ok I know we have beaten the changing of calls to death but here's my problem with what happened during the AROD play.

PU's responsibility even in 6 man crew.

1. Call the Pitch
2. Fair / Foul up to the bag
3. Batter / Catcher's interference
4. Batter hitting ball out of box
5. 45 ft. lane responsibilities

So my question why did Joe West not call the interference if he saw it?

IMO it wouldn't be taking Randy Marsh's call away from him because let's assume the ball was around home plate and AROD violated the 45 ft. lane rule. That would have been West's call so what's the difference?

There are certain calls that belong to ALL umpires such as a balk call. Interference can also be called by ALL umpires so while I applaud the umpiring crew for getting the call right, IMO it would have looked better if Joe West who saw the interference call to begin with simply CALLED it.

IMO, had neither manager questioned those calls (I realize highly unlikely but humor me here), the original call WOULD have stood.

So in all this changing of calls why wait until Manager questions it if you KNOW what the call should be and in addition you are NOT "stepping on someone's toes" becasue the call could be made by all umpires.

I understand no one chiming in on the HR reversal because that was the LFU's call all the way and it was up to the LFU to seek help, but in the interference situation IMO Joe West should have called TIME! That's interference and called AROD out instead of waiting for Francona to come out.

What do you think!

Pete Booth