View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 02:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Assume the A-Rod interference on F1's tag attempt had been made in an ASA softball game.

Assume BU was screened (as U1 was in the Yanks/Sox game) and could not see the interference (and hence, could not see the tag attempt itself - only that F1 had the ball and was running to attempt a play).

In the actual game, U1 signals SAFE immediately as the ball is loose rolling into right field and as the BR is running very wide of the base. Defensive coach comes out. U1 asks for help from his partners. Call is reversed and BR is out.

So, we have a missed base and a missed tag (assuming the BU could see enough to see the missed tag - remember, he was screened from seeing the very obvious interference). PU sees the interference but says nothing until asked.

Comments on the mechanic of the SAFE signal?

Comments on how the call was reversed (BU asked for help)? Should the PU have called the ball dead as soon as he saw the interference?
In my opinion, we saw a "no tag, SAFE" call, not just a SAFE signal. Clearly a missed base, so a live ball appeal still available, and defense is not deterred by the "no tag" signal. Frankly, I thought he wasn't all that screened, didn't work to get the proper angle on an obvious tag attempt to happen, and should have seen the obvious interference.

That leads to why I think PU had to wait for a request for help. If PU knows BU didn't see it, all interference calls can and should be made by any umpire who sees it. But, if I am PU, it is right in front of my BU, in the last few feet of the base line, and I think he saw it? I think I have to let him make his call, use his judgement, and wait for him to ask if he is unsure. Otherwise, I am using my judgement from a distance over the man 10 feet away.

What I thought they may have missed was on the administration after making the interference call. Does anyone think it is likely that Jeter (taking a lead on the pitch, and getting any kind of jump) hadn't already touched second base (and probably made a turn, even), before the time of the interference just a few steps short of the base? If he had, that would be the last base legally touched at the time of the interference, and he would not be returned to first under ASA rules.