View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

The rule is in the book because what the rule refers to is when a pitcher steps toward third and then whirls on the balls of his feet with his feet never leaving their initial placement after that first step toward third. The only way is is possible to step toward third and then not lift your feet up off the ground again, and the throw to first is if you WHEEL or TWIST on the balls of your feet and fire to first without stepping towards the base first. That is the balk they are referring to.

Stepping on the plate is not an immediate dead ball. The batters foot has to be completely out of the batters box, ie. not touching any part of the line, to be considered out of the batters box when hitting a ball.

A batter is out for illegal action when_ (a) He hits a ball with one or both feet on the ground entirely outside the batter's box. If a batter hits a ball fair or foul while out of the batter's box, he shall be called out.

Quote:
Originally posted by haynesd
I do not disagree. I guess my point is why have it in the book. If you call the balk everyone is going to argue that the pitcher stepped off the rubber legally. The move happens very fast and its unlikely anyone is looking at the pitcher's feet once he steps toward 3rd. I just find it potentially confusing just like the original posting. I say this because our chief umpire, a former minor league umpire and college umpire, said that stepping on the plate is not a dead ball. Of course maybe that's why he is no longer in the minor leagues.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates