View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 20, 2004, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

The problem I have with trying to check a swing the way Manny did is this. You can, by freezing the bat and letting your body catch up to it, not look like you were going to swing at the pitch. The problem is that your body ends up "catching" the bat and then you allow you body to twist around so you end up facing the third base dugout.

To me, if you weren't offering at the pitch, your body shouldn't be twisting all the way around. The only reason a body will twist that way is if you meant to offer at the pitch. Sure you may have held the bat from going around, but to have to twist your body around so it's facing third, means that you really couldn't hold up your momentum and that you really were intending to offer at the pitch. IMHO it should be a strike.
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates