Thread: eyes wide open
View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 19, 2004, 01:44pm
Official Forum Member

"off the brawl" coverage

Quote:
Originally posted by Robmoz

JR, if they are yapping do you consider issuing a double T in an attempt to calm things down right then and there even if there is no cursing or additional physical contact?

I think I would zap em both....your thoughts and experiences?
If it appears heated to me, I'll call the double T in a heartbeat - better IMHO to err on the side of prevention than take a chance on letting it escalate. If not, I'll just tell them to knock it off & if they comply, that's the end of it.

Agree completely with Jurrasic on getting between the players - I also know officials that have gotten hurt doing so. Letting teammates try to pull them apart is dangerous IHMO, as I have seen instances where they wound up becoming participants. If whistle & voice don't stop it, I'll yell for the coach to give me a hand (at that point either or both are fine).

Something I always discuss with my partner in the pre-game is if an altercation breaks out, who is responsible for "off the brawl" coverage. What seems to work well is for the closest official to handle the confrontation while their partner freezes both benches and as many on the floor non-combatants as possible. Any thoughts?