View Single Post
Old Mon Oct 18, 2004, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

This happened this past Saturday during an early morning Jr. High girls tournament game (fairly low skill level):

A1 is on line for a 1 & 1 (I'm administering ball from endline). A1's shot misses and rebounds directly back to her. Most of the other players take a half step to retrieve rebound and then...buzzer sounds (by mistake) for a sub to enter.... everyone FREEZES!! I'm standing on the end-line not saying a word as the sub is mistakenly waved onto the court by my partner. At the same time the shooter throws the ball back to me and I let it go out of bounds. I blow it dead and B's ball heading the other way. After some discussion with my partner we agree to give the ball to B without any complaints from either side. After further thought, I thought that maybe we should have gone to the possesion arrow. Although this situation worked out OK at this level, I was trying to learn from it just in case it happened at a higher level. Here are some "what-ifs" using the same situation. Please help if you can...

Let's say for arguments sake that all of these "what-ifs" happen after the sub is waved onto the floor.

What-if...
#1 - player A1 puts the ball right back up and makes it?
#2 - player B1 rebounds and is fouled by A2?
#3 - player B1 rebounds and travels?

Thanks for your help!!

RR