View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy

For the last few years, I have not used a lineup card. The trick that I learned that has helped me the most is to identfy the setter and her "opposite" player. I then try to remember two other opposite players. I have discovered that most alignment calls that I make as R2 involve the setter.
Andy,

Our state association requires the U/R2 to keep a lineup card, and the R1 to do so if it's a single official match. Even though we're no longer required to track the server, I still do - it's come in handy a couple times at sublevel games when the scorekeeper didn't have a real good handle on the job.....

Memorizing the setter/opposite is a neat trick - another official showed me that at a preseason clinic. I find that it comes in real handy for helping to track front row/back row, especially when I'm the R1. Instead of tracking another opposite pair, I've been going after the two players either side of the setter. I'll have to try your suggestion & see if it makes a difference....

I agree with your observation on setter involvement - probably 80% or better in my experience, and 90% of that when she's coming from either the LB or RB position.